Saturday, June 19, 2010

Man in White Suit: I'll kill you if you make that noise once the movie starts! Understand?

Tampopo (Dandelion) (1985)

Rating 4.50/5.00

Where 5 is a brilliant Japanese film


A British Psychologist has recently come up with a formula for Happiness and food doesn't feature as a factor!!!! Can you believe that? Anticipating something dastardly like this might be done by some idiot someday, Juzo Itami had made a befitting response to this kind of shit in 1985. This film.

This is a film about-
food as an art form, not something we need to ingest to stay alive
food as an emotion which binds us, drives us and brings us closer to our spiritual core and MAKES US HAPPY..yeah! Fuck all the british psychologists in all the freaking universe!
food as one key element of civilization which remains unchanged (forget the McDonald's - we're talking gourmet here) in the way its made and served....i.e., you can't cook a good pork noodle soup in a machine.

The main story (the quest of a widowed woman to make the perfect noodle soup in her small restaurant and how she's helped by some self styled connoisseurs - a truck driver, a contractor, a driver, an old tramp etc) is interwoven with other smaller stories to make a paean for good food which had these two noticeable effects on me -

  1. It made me so hungry I actually made noodle soup and even though it was terrible, I ate all of it !!!
  2. I slurp when I drink anything hot - I think that's the only way to enjoy it.
Watch it!
 
Imdb link here

No comments:

Post a Comment