Friday, May 18, 2012

Trinidad is my favorite country...


Hari Om Sharan - Premanjali Pushpanjali (a collection of Bhajans)

Rating 5.0/5.0

I used to listen to Michael Jackson wonsaonatime -- Thriller used to be my favorite album, then my tastes underwent a cataclysmic change and I was cleansed of Michael Ji and all forms of dance music forever. I thought the same would happen to all the music I heard as a child growing up in Nana's house -- I was wrong. 


I remember waking up at 6 AM when Nana would put on Vividh Bharati -- and they always played Hari Om Sharan's bhajans. His voice -- steeped in love, devotion and simplicity; and the lyrics -- with deep compassion for the paradoxes that we mortals struggle with and the gentle nudge towards living a better life and having faith in God. Is there any other musician who has made life beautiful for so many Indians across the world?


And I didn't see any felicitations, any recognition from his country on the Wiki page. The Trinidad Government felicitated him in 2005. Now, that's a crying shame.


No point, he wouldn't have cared two hoots I guess....but one thing I'm sure of...my kid will listen to Hari Uncle till he/she can understand what a 'pause' button is -- and I hope even then he/she doesn't press it. I hope his/her kid too listens to him. Hope is a wonderful thing.


Here's hoping his voice never dies. 


His Wikipedia page 

No comments:

Post a Comment