Saturday, November 19, 2011

don't Bogart that sandwich my friend....


Win Win (2011)

Rating 4.75/5.00
Where 5.00 is a cowboy poem called the Searchers

Its not about how brilliant this film is...its about Thomas McCarthy's ability to make three amazing films in a row -  HOW DOES HE DO IT? WHY DOES HE NEVER DISAPPOINT? Here's his current directorial repertoire -

1. The Station Agent (2003) - IMDb Plot summary: When his only friend dies, a man born with dwarfism moves to rural New Jersey to live a life of solitude, only to meet a chatty hot dog vendor and a woman dealing with her own personal loss.
2. The Visitor (2007) - IMDb Plot Summary: A college professor travels to New York City to attend a conference and finds a young couple living in his apartment.
3. Win Win (2011) - IMDb Plot summary - A struggling lawyer and volunteer wrestling coach's chicanery comes back to haunt him when the teenage grandson of the client he's double-crossed comes into his life.

All three films have unique story lines, well developed, endearing characters and emotional depth that never ceases to amaze. Do watch Win Win - it will leave you with a lot to think about while you laugh at it.

That's not what  I can recommend for Rockstar (2011). When I walk into the cinema hall expecting a good film because its made by Imtiaz Ali, I should get exactly that! Should I have gone with lower expectations? Many would think I should but I just can't - I'm not throwing my time and money at a film because I have nothing better to do - I'm watching it because I want to and I expect it to be good.  Unfortunately, Ali is just going down the drain - Jab We Met (Sheer poetry), Love Aaj Kal (good in parts) and now Rockstar (a big piece of shit after the first 30 minutes!!!) - a classic case of reverse evolution. Rediff and TOI critics have given it 4 stars out of 5 and to that there can be only two interpretations

  1. They got paid to rate the film
  2. Their intellectual wavelength matches with Imtiaz Ali's and they could understand the depth of his vision where I was dumb enough not to
I would choose 2 because I can't possibly question their integrity, can I?

Imdb Link here

No comments:

Post a Comment