Saturday, November 12, 2011

Please dial 1 for Evolution, 2 for Frustration, 3 for Enlightenment

the poster could have been so much more
A Colt is my Passport (1967)
Rating 4.0/5.0


Where 5.0 is the film that defines the genre

I watched a fair bit of Japanese film noir in the last few months. Never got the time to write on it though. I always struggle with the thought of writing something that doesn't satisfy me and in the process I end up writing nothing at all. That's a bad habit and here I am trying to change it.

I'm a huge Film Noir fan - I have watched nearly all the well known American films in this genre and lately I have begun exploring the underbelly (or the lesser known but maybe more genuine examples) of American film noir. The Japs found noir films an excellent medium to express their own post war disillusionment. They had their own unique take on the genre - the characters are even more twisted than American noir (imagine a perversion fit for the 60s and there's a fair chance you'll find it here) and they retain their own sense of identity and culture even when they blatantly copy the themes. A Colt is my Passport is a classic example of such a movie and although the entire movie is one fast, entertaining ride, the film could just have been a minor classic if not for the climax - it is so compelling and so smart that it just doesn't let you erase the film from your memory.

Download this film and other titles from the Nikkatsu Studios from this link

No comments:

Post a Comment