Monday, December 5, 2011

A thank you note


Getting some writing done in the past few weeks. I'm watching myself very closely this time just to see if something will come out of it. Any way, as part of this writing thing, I've been forced to remember  my kiddiehood and my teenagehood and all those years gone by. Today, for example, I remembered that I had been watching films with subtitles long before I saw my first Criterion film - and that I was watching different kinds of cinema long before I thought I was watching different kind of cinema. You may wonder why..

Back in the late 80s - my kiddiehood days, DD used to run this Sunday afternoon regional movie show. I had nothing better to do at the time - evening cricket with the colony kids started at 4-30 ish, it was usually too hot to roam outside all the time and I was anyway reading a lot of books - so TV came in as a refreshing change even if it was lets say a Mallu film on social ills, an Oriya classic on poverty and hunger or an Assamese comedy - needless to say DD always showed National Award Winners  and I lapped them up without burping or expressing my gratitude.

Thank you Doordarshan. You showed me that there's a story that needs to be seen outside of cinema halls.

No comments:

Post a Comment