Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sleeping with the Television on

Billy Joel - Glass Houses (1980)

Rating 5.0/5.0
Where 5 is a small tribute to great albums that no one really cares too much about...

"I really wish I was less of a thinking man and more
a fool not afraid of rejection"
                                                               ~Billy Joel

Joel's classic album Glass Houses has this infinitely meaningful line. I don't think Joel understood the significance of what he had written...I didn't too at the time...just that the line sounded apt for all the girls I wanted to run after but didn't. In November 2011 this has taken a far deeper meaning than I had ever expected.

Today morning I woke up with an inexplicable urge - the first thing I did was to download Glass Houses and listen to it cover to cover a good 10 years after I had last put the cassette in my BPL stereo player  (those horrendous things that defined our lives before the iPod). It sounds just as good and that's really surprising considering that in college I used to think Pink Floyd's Division Bell was awesome.

For me back in college this was better than anything Dylan did and surprisingly enough I still think that way. Dylan is a great poet-songwriter - but most of the time Dylan doesn't really mean it - he's just playing with words and screwing around with our heads-Joel is a billion times less talented but he means what he says and that resonates with me a billion times more. This may all sound confusing and meaningless so I would let Billy do the talking, here's another song that makes me feel like standing in the lobby of a hotel, sweating bullets in a stupid old suit, waiting, waiting, waiting-


She said she'd meet me in the bar
At the Plaza Hotel
"Wear a jacket and a tie"
"What's the occasion?"
She just smiled and she wouldn't say why
So here I am standing, waiting in the lobby
Sweating bullets in this stupid old suit
And when she sees me she busts out laughing
"You're a sad sight honey, but you look so cute" and


I don't want to be alone anymore
I was checking you out
I was just making sure
No, I don't want to be alone anymore
And, I want you tonight
Although you hurt me before
It didn't matter that I felt like a fool
'Cause I forgot when she walked through the door
I said I'm sorry, but she said it was cool
And I don't want to be alone anymore


Download it here

No comments:

Post a Comment